Monday 28 April 2014

Being a BIM Manager

I read an interesting article in the latest Augi Magazine recently written by Mark Kiker titled "What's New with You"?  I highly recommend you read it as it a good reference for all types of managers.

His article got me thinking so I thought I'd make my own list and incorporate a couple points Mark mentions.

Think about your career
Write down your skills and acheivements, include your latest projects as well as any training/conferences you attend. This process allows you to evaluate where you currently are at in your career. It can gives you a direction and focus on where you currently are where you want to be, use this to see where you need to bolster your skills.

Self development
What are you currently doing for self development? If you answer is "nothing I'm too busy" wrong answer.... As a BIM Manager It's your job to stay current, you don't have to be an expert but you do have to be aware of new features and advancement in your industry. 

Goals
Establish some goals. Define what you want to achieve this year, month, day.... 
What self development goals do you have both within your organisation and personal career goals. Write them out and pin them up where you can see them every day and then make roads to achieve them.

Get organised
I'm a "listy" I write down a list of things I need to do at the beginning of each day or week and I have a priority list of things I need to accomplish short term (1 to 2 weeks). 
You are inefficient if you are not organised, this will reflected in your management skills.

Right now
Ask yourself "What can I do? And How can I do what I'm currently doing better?"
What can you do to assist those people you work for (if your a BIM Manager everyone is your boss), what task or responsibility can you take on, large or small, that will help out a team member. If you don't know ask.

And finally... say "Yes" ... take on challenges will lead to self development.

Check out Mark's blog and websites on BIM Manager and CAD Manager

Sc

Ceck us out on Facebook for more information and additional content.
https://www.facebook.com/OkanaganBIMUsers




No comments:

Post a Comment